Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mothering

I have been reflecting on what it means to be a mother lately. So many people I know don't get along with their moms, some for good reason, others because of petty grievances. How horrible and hurtful it is to resent a mother for her actions or child raising abilities when in all likelihood, she was just doing the best she knew how.
Keith and I are both lucky to have wonderful mothers. I strongly believe that the similar manner in which we were raised has helped us build a more solid relationship with each other AND their example has helped me to be a better mom.
Over the last few weeks, my relationship with Remington has become even more clearly defined. I'm no longer just his food source. He treats me differently than he does other people, even if that means he gets more frustrated with me. He knows who I am, clings to me a certain way, and is always happy to hold me when strangers are around.
The decision to become a stay-at-home mom was an easy one for me. I'm so glad Keith was on board to completely take over bringing home the bacon. While it is the hardest job I've ever had, it is by far the most rewarding. What I'm doing now as a distinct impact on the future, unlike filing paperwork or cashing checks, the mundane work I was doing before. For the first time, I'm my own boss and I love my job, even though I have one of the most demanding clients ever! Can't wait to add more clients!
Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Piper said...

and you are a damn fine mother at that!!

Sano Family said...

What a beautiful writing on motherhood! You have really caught the vision of what it is all about!
You are a beautiful mother and Remington and future "clients" are so very blessed to have you and Keith as parents.
The rewards will be worth any sweat and sacrifice!!!
We are so proud of you both!!
Love,
Mom/Beth

em said...

Yes, you are a wonderful mother and I agree, you have both had amazing mothers, too!

I LOVE when Mason hugs me and puts his face close to mine (in a shy way) when a stranger says hello. It is so cute and I can just see little Remmers lovin' on his mommy! He's so CUTE!!!!!