Sunday, May 17, 2009

Necessito Burrito


Last night we met up with an old San Diego friend for BBQ at Goode Company. Keith and I kind of have an understanding about eating out, so when friends come into town we let them choose where to eat. Because I'm a vegetarian it complicates things, but usually, almost always, I can find something to eat anywhere. Not so at Goode Company! The only thing I could have eaten was the cole slaw (YUCK!) and the white jalapeno cheddar bread (hardly a meal.) So I sat and watched everyone down their piles of smoky meat while I sipped on an old fashioned root beer. Two hours later, I'm starving and we still have a thirty minute drive home.

Keith was feeling generous and offered to stop somewhere else for a quick meal for me. I had heard a local radio show host, Michael Barry, a few months back during his Job Listings Hour, endorsing a place called Freebirds Burrito. One of the managers had called in to list some openings at one of their locations. I have been wanting to try it ever since.
After a couple of wrong turns, we finally made it. The interior was reminiscent of a Vietnam era hippie, John Lennon quotes on the wall, and a big mural with "FREEDOM!" written in pink letters breaking through brick. Quite the departure from the down-home BBQ joint we had just left.
They have four size choices: 1/2 Bird, Freebird, Monster, and Super Monster. I opted for the Veggie Freebird with rice, black beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, roasted garlic, corn salsa, sour cream and a mild tomatillo sauce, all on a cayenne tortilla. The fact that I'm still thinking about it should let you know how good it is! So next time, given the choice between BBQ or burritos, I think I know which one I'll choose...