Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chickens

Keith has been toying with the idea of raising chickens ever since we put the gardening idea on hold. It brought to mind a show I saw at 3AM on PBS when I lived in my first apartment. It was titled "The Natural History of the Chicken." It was positively the most heartwarming nature program I've ever seen! My favorite was the story of the chicken that lived without a head for 18 months after his owner (a farmer) had tried to slaughter him but failed. The farmer did a complete 180 and cared for that chicken like a mother would care for her newborn. The farmer would even feed it with an eyedropper. The chicken died by choking on a piece of corn while on the traveling circus circuit.
I won't post the picture because it is kinda graphic, but you can do a google search for 'Mike the headless chicken' if you want to see him.

I would like chickens of the with head variety. My favorite is the Japanese Silkie Bantam:I just found the entire program on You Tube. It's in 6 parts, but if you have time, you should check it out!

1 comment:

The Taylors said...

I have been to the "Mike the Headless Chicken" Festival in Fruita, Colorado twice! What a funny story! I even ran in the Festival 5k one year!